[wp-hackers] Automatic Saving?

Aaron Brazell aaron at technosailor.com
Sat Dec 31 21:52:59 GMT 2005

> But maybe were going about it the wrong way, why try to save to the
> database? Why not implement something similar to what Blogger does,
> they just stick a cookies in your browser with all the post
> information, that way would be easier. Then all you'd have to do is
> write a small bit to create the cookie, stick it in the browser every
> so often (possibly a configurable time in the control panel) and then
> if something does happen (browser crashes, etc..) when the user goes
> back into the posting interface WordPress would auto-import the post
> information from the cookies, then when the post is saved to the
> database the cookies are deleted. Doesn't seem too terribly hard to
> do it that way, much easier in fact than worrying about the first idea.

Well I can think of two reasons right off the top...

1) Users who don't use cookies (which is albeit a small portion)
2) There are strict cookie-use privacy requirements among many governments (U.S., EU and Canada I think) and corporations.  As long as we want only personal use of WordPress we can consider the cookie approach. But I think we want to cater to the widest possible user base. In my humble opinion...