[wp-hackers] Any chance of the "Kubrick vs hReview" patch being accepted prior to WP 2.0 release?

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Dec 21 23:15:47 GMT 2005

Phillip Pearson wrote:

> Another plus for using classnames is that you don't need to do any DTD
> hackery to make your HTML validate with the W3C validator.  Namespaced
> XML would be nice if the validator ignored namespaced elements, but it
> doesn't ...

Personally I've never been a big fan of validity. Well-formedness: yes.
Validity: maybe if doesn't hurt too much or get in my way.

The X in XML and XHTML is supposed to stand for "Extensible". A language
that only allows a few fixed tag names isn't very extensible.

For what it's worth (not much) it is possible to make non-standard
extension elements and attributes valid with the appropriate
modifications to the internal DTD subset. I wrote about this in the
first couple of editions of XML in a Nutshell. However, it's quite
painful and doesn't gain you anything in the end. Most of the time
well-formedness is all I need.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu