[wp-hackers] Any chance of the "Kubrick vs hReview" patch being accepted prior to WP 2.0 release?

Phillip Pearson pp at myelin.co.nz
Tue Dec 20 23:27:56 GMT 2005

>> BTW, I've also been talking to David Janes about getting hAtom
>> (http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom) support into WP 2.0.  This would
>> require renaming the "entry" and "content" classes in Kubrick, as
>> hAtom uses "entry" to wrap a post, and "content" to wrap the post
>> content/description.  I can do a patch for this if this is an
>> acceptable sort of change...?
>
> I'm curious where these microformat guys get off absconding with
> fairly standard class names for use in their microformats.
> "decription"? "entry"?  "content"?  They seem pretty common to many
> purposes.
>
> I'm not thoroughly versed in the use of microformats, but it seems
> this could lead to a lot of false positives in a search.  If someone
> pointed a microformat scanner at a default Kubrick blog, for example,
> it might come back with false positives.
>
> So educate me- What does the microformat syntax provide to prevent
> this from happening?  After all, my use of "description" as a CSS
> class name predates any microformat.

Usually the more specific classes (which always have VERY common names)
have to occur inside a container with a less common name.  In hAtom's
case, the outer class name is "feed", which is less common.

(It's "hreview" for hReview, "vevent" for hCalendar, etc.)

So a minimal page marked up with hAtom might look like:

    <h3><a href="url of entry" rel="bookmark">title goes here</a></h3>

And a minimal hReview would be:

The problems arise when you try to mark up existing HTML with
microformats, because the microformat authors always choose such generic
names ("item", "description", "content", "entry", etc)....

Cheers,
Phil