[wp-hackers] Version RPC

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Aug 11 20:23:22 GMT 2005

Denis de Bernardy wrote:
> Yeah, I was just following it from a distance. :)
>
> It's just, it makes no real sense from a design stand point imho. You could
> just as well put the information in any other randomly chosen file. And the
> bandwidth saving is very much zero.

Bandwidth cost is zero, too, since we're all already fetching stuff for
our dashboards.

I fail to see what's so bad about using the single RSS payload for
multiple purposes.

> What more, someone might want to call the data for an entirely separate
> reason sooner or later, or insert more data, or whatever. And having it
> embeded in the rss feed at that point won't necessarily make sense.

As it stands, this is a zero-cost way to propogate the current WordPress
version without generating a new request from the client.

Propogating other sorts of data may or may not have value, and they can
be explored later.  Do you have a specific example?

> In the end, rather than trying to outfancy things with some geeky mixture of
> data, you'll want to stick to something completely separate and independent.

That would be the RPC link to which Matt linked originally.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35