[wp-hackers] IIS Problem

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 20:15:37 GMT 2005

I have been using the PHPMailer classes for a while, and they do a decent
job.  I had to change my settings recently as my new box no longer supports
SMTP sending from a script, but DID support the mail function.

The problem I've had of late is the number of different PHP configs.  No
socket functions vs fsockopen vs fopen-url have plagued my xml parser code,
and I'm sure similar things will happen with a mailer implementation.  Would
be good if there was a staged/stepped fallback system, so if mail() is
turned off try X, and if X is based on something not active try Y... etc.
With PHPMailer, at least you can call one function on the mail object to
tell it what method you want to use -- lord knows that autodetection isn't a
simple process (sockets could 'work', but SMTP connection might fail to send
due to restrictions...).

-d