[wp-hackers] IIS Problem

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:30:03 GMT 2005

No, WP does not have an option to use an alternative to mail(), and thus a
few weeks back I ran into trouble installing it because I purposely left out
mail support in PHP. It would be nice if it were wrappered in if function
exists statements and if not, it tried to use an SMTP connection or one of
the PEAR classes that does mailing.

On Apr 2, 2005 3:52 AM, Amit Gupta <amit at igeek.info> wrote:

>  Looks strange to me. Why do you have to create a DSN? Can't you connect
> to MySQL the usual way? I've had numerous installs on Windows/IIS5 with
> PHP4/MySQL4 and haven't had any problems since March last year.
>
> And yes, you can't CHMOD on Windows/IIS. You need to have to ask for write
> permission from the webhost. Besides, mail() function isn't enabled on
> Windows/IIS, I doubt it can work normally. I read somewhere that it needs to
> be worked around. Besides, doesn't WP has an option to use SMTP if mail() is
> not available? I think if its not available, then it should be, as some guys
> do install WP on Windows/IIS.
>
> And your fopen, fread, fwrite etc. are disabled as noted in your phpinfo()
> output, I think that WP uses fopen/fread to load the plugins, so that's why
> you are not able to open the plugins directory.
>

> -----
> Amit Gupta
>
> || Canned!! -- my Atropine <http://blog.igeek.info/> || iG:Syntax Hiliter
> v2.01<http://blog.igeek.info/still-fresh/2004/11/22/igsyntax-hiliter-2-final/>||
> || iGEEK.INFO <http://www.igeek.info/> || Free Nokia Ringtones<http://www.igeek.info/ringtones.php>|| Online
> Gaming @ Games Planet <http://www.igeek.info/games.php> ||
>

> ---------- Original Message from podz at tamba2.org.uk ----------
>
> *http://wordpress.org/support/topic.php?id=29474* <http://wordpress.org/support/topic.php?id=29474>
>
> The problem right now is that clicking "Plugins" gets me this:
> "Couldn't open plugins directory or there are no plugins available."
>
> Any advice appreciated
>
> P.

--Robert Deaton
http://anothersadsong.com