[wp-forums] FYI

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Tue Apr 16 22:03:13 UTC 2013

on 16/04/2013 21:32 Mika A Epstein said the following:

> Post 2 is what I mean when I say y'all live and die by your own

Um - my take was slightly different. More below...

> I try my
> damnedest to take things the best way possible, especially in text, but
> that post is an example of escalating attitudes, with two (three?)
> people who just butted heads. No one was a winner in that post.

Personally I think the OP came into that topic with a chip on his
shoulder or an axe to grind. And there is never any reasoning with
someone like that.

When it comes to reviews, I think we do have to bear a couple of things
in mind:

1. People never really "rate" something that they can get for free. And
I mean "rate" as in "consider important". Those who do take the time to
come back & say something nice are often the decent minority. The vast
majority take what they can get & run. You'll never hear for them again.
Then there's the other tiny minority who are going to be awkward no
matter what you do. All of this makes the review system something of a
downer for developers. I'm not saying we can change that - we can't. But
nor should we ignore the likely effects.

2. People are going to be far more motivated to come back with a
negative review than they are with a positive one. And the really
negative ones are always going to make the most noise. That will tend to
skew any review system towards the negative. Again, that's just Life but
we shouldn't ignore its effects.

3. Developers are not trained in Customer Support. Dealing with
negativity day-on-day is hard.

4. Developers are not CS droids following a script for something that
they couldn't care less about. This review is about their "baby" - the
thing they sweated hours over, are proud of and then gave away for free.
So when someone posts a scathing review out of the blue, it can *really*
hurt. and I'll bet more than half of all bad reviews are actually
support issues that the OP never bothered to actually ask about. Which
makes it even worse.

Yes - we should always try to adult about these things and read/respond
in the best way possible but saying and doing are often very different
things. I, personally, do not think the only grounds for a review to be
deleted are if it contains threats, vulgarity, insults or if someone's
personal safety is at risk. I happen to think that if someone posts a
review saying (essentially) "you stole this", it's defamatory and should
be removed on those grounds alone. Ditto all of those ridiculous 1-star
ones that say useless things like "didn't work" with no other
explanation and no response if you try to elicit details. Those aren't
reviews. They're just people venting their bad tempers in a manner that
borders on childish.

Theme developers at least have a little kudos from the fact that their
theme passed a very strict quality review by their peer(s). The plugin
review (because it's not currently as stringent) offers no such kudos.
So all plugin devs have is download stats and reviews.

I'd actually like to see a little more support for plugin developers -
with mods possibly dropping into review topics (where appropriate) when
OPs are getting out of hand. I don't think they should just be left to
sort it out alone.

Your mileage may, of course, differ.

And this is all getting very meta, isn't it? ;-)

Mel
--
http://quirm.net
http://blackwidows.co.uk