[wp-testers] Automatic update working correctly?

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Mon Oct 27 10:24:14 GMT 2008

> I have a 1&1 account too and no problems. I had that problem before. All I
> did was add a single line in htaccess that makes sure I use PHP5 instead of
> the default PHP4. No problems in auto-upgrading ever since.

I just manually updated to trunk-r9365, and tried to update: got the
usual "Downloading update from..." and "Unpacking the core update",
then nothing (and no footer, so likely to have failed). Somehow,
didn't even have the latest archive in /wp-content this time, which
surprises me no bit.

Put the following .htaccess file in my /wp-trunk root folder:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Clicked the Upgrade button, and waddayaknow:

"Downloading update from
http://wordpress.org/nightly-builds/wordpress-latest.zip
Unpacking the core update
Verifying the unpacked files
Installing the latest version
Upgrading database
WordPress upgraded successfully"
...and dear old footer, latest zip in /wp-content along with empty
/wp-content/upgrade directory!

Just FIY, my regular PHP version is 4.4.9 (phpinfo here:
http://is.gd/4eE4 ), and the wp-trunk version is 5.2.6
(directory-specific phpinfo here: http://is.gd/4Uhe ) - ergo, pretty
much the latest.
If WP is 100% PHP4 compatible, could the cause be an add-on that 1&1
wouldn't put in their PHP4, but would in PHP5?

-xb.