[wp-testers] Automatic update working correctly?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Oct 27 13:42:46 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Xavier Borderie <xavier at borderie.net> wrote:
> Put the following .htaccess file in my /wp-trunk root folder:
>
> AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Thus changing which server configuration you are using.

Generally speaking, switching to PHP 5 on a host solves issues not
because of the use of PHP5, but because the PHP5 configuration does
not have the same mistakes that they made in the PHP4 configuration.
PHP5 also has a smaller memory footprint in some cases, and so forth.

> If WP is 100% PHP4 compatible, could the cause be an add-on that 1&1
> wouldn't put in their PHP4, but would in PHP5?

Not necessarily an "add-on", but simply a configuration issue. It's
hard to say specifically what caused the failure under their PHP4
setup, without teting on that specific setup.

-Otto