[wp-testers] What are these files?

zamoose at gmail.com zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:30:07 GMT 2008

On 6/16/08, WordPress <wordpress at anekostudios.com> wrote:
> They look like MySQL error dumps to me.  I had the same types of files
> show up on my server a few years ago when I was working with another
> program.  You *should* be able to pass them to your host and they can
> look at them and tell you what the problem is.  (They contain what
> looks like a LOT of gibberish, but it's actually a lot like the error
> codes you see when your PC pukes on you.)  but someone else might be
> right - they could be Apache (but the ones I've seen are usually "pid"
> files not "core.**" dumps)
>
> Your host will know what to do with them.

I'm willing to bet that

1) You're running in a shared environment
2) You're running PHP as a CGI/FastCGI

They're likely NOT MySQL anything, but rather the result of your PHP
CGI crapping out -- either an over-memory, over-cpu or general I/O
stall situation.

For curiosity's sake, you could follow up with your provider, or, if
they provide gdb along with your hosting plan, SSH/telnet to your host
and run gdb on the core files.

In any event, unless they keep cropping up, you likely can safely ignore them.

--
-Doug