[wp-testers] Forum questions on testers lists ??

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Dec 23 17:21:31 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Paul Robinson <pablorobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree completely with you. The flame wars are immature & should be deleted
> on sight. The search is rubbish, the forum should probably use something
> like VBulletin & although people might get sick of the same question being
> asked it is extremely immature on the part of anyone who answers to start
> attacking the asker. Just leave the post empty if you don't want to point
> the person in the right direction. That's what I do.

I don't think switching to VBulletin is necessary, but a redesign of
the existing bbPress forum would be in order. This fixed width stuff
sucks, IMO.

> I Also agree with Mattias, the forums are said to be the major point of
> support for WP & as such stupid questions or questions that have already
> been asked get asked again, this is partly due to the poor search, but
> theres no need to insult the person.

I still say that people read insults into things that simply do not
contain insults. A joke at your expense is not an insult. Telling you
that you're an idiot is.

> Anyway this is my last email on this subject because I think we've gone
> extremely off topic. Oh and Otto I don't think you should get premium
> support for free software, but I have seen better support forums for free,
> for example the Ubuntu forums. That's not a dig at WP just a hint that maybe
> things could be done to make the wp.org forums a little better.

No argument there.

-Otto