[wp-testers] Default theme

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Jun 12 07:31:35 GMT 2006

Sean Hayford O'Leary wrote:
> (I was referring to the code, not the appearance in cleanliness.)
> Again, I have no objection to Kubrick being shipped with WP, but it
> simply should not be default: whether its code is cleaned up or not,
> it's still designed to do more than "default" really needs to do.
>
> Keeping it as "default" basically adds bulk to WP's core and is
> harmful to those who want to develop with it. Including as an extra
> but non-essential theme benefits those who want an easy install and
> makes it easy for theme developers.

When 1.5 was released with the new default it generated huge amounts of
forum posts. It was - for me - incredibly frustrating that we have a
default theme which for a newbie is almost impossible to change without
lots of help. I said then and I maintain that it tries to be 'clever'
when straightforward would have done. Since then though the number of
default questions have fallen to a sane level. And most of them come
from newbies and the most common response is "Do not use the default -
find a better theme to modify". Out of the box it does indeed offer
something clean but for changing the forum advice would remain the same.
Andy has suggested an improvement but if changing the code without a lot
of commentary is done then the problems will recur. There is a wealth of
information out there now about various default changes that can be made
and it's written with the current default in mind. It would be a shame
to render that almost redundant.

I think there is an argument for familiarity too. Certainly all I ever
see is people expressing negativity about the theme because it doesn't
do what they want. I don't see that outside the forums maybe because
people just change it or live with it - just like the default of most
programs.

As for Classic - that desperately needs some love and attention. As
unpopular as this will be with some, I'd use the Gemini theme, make the
default colours a bit better, have an image for a header. And as it's
'good' css it's very easy for forum helpers to actually help with.
http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/Gemini/
I will not be holding my breath on that one though.

P.