[wp-testers] Keeping Up-to-date

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sun Jan 22 11:10:31 GMT 2006

Sean Hayford O'Leary wrote:
> Could you list the pros and cons?

+
One off install.
Prominent message

-
Prominent message if you choose not to upgrade
If wherever the information is grabbed from updates before the dev blog
post it could lead to confusion (I don't know the who / how)
No explanation of the version (which there should be. For instance 1.5.2
is still a stable product so upgrading for the new code is advised if
you want that, but it's safe to stay where you are.)
If they then switch the plugin off, they could miss something important
(if the system were a little more flexible).

Some sort of messaging would be good, but then that's what the dash was
for - and the contents of that have been removed or altered by many.

My feelings are that a new release (or update) generates a lot of buzz
which most should hear about. Maybe also some people choose not to
upgrade and for others with older code, there is no way of telling them
automatically.

P.