[wp-testers] Keeping Up-to-date

Sean Hayford O'Leary hayfordoleary at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 11:22:06 GMT 2006

Choice -- yeah, but I can't imagine it would be do difficult to insert
an option to turn the function off.

Here's what I picture: a person had a more tech-central friend install
a copy of WordPress on his hosting. The user continues to use it for a
while, knowing that as long as he pays the hosting bill, it stays up.
Then comes a security flaw with the code that he's using. His friend
isn't keeping track of his blog, and how should he know that it needs
to be upgraded?

This is a real situation to me. When I design websites for clients, I
freqently use WordPress as a CMS. In two years, when there's a
vulnerability with some code used in 1.5 or 2.0, how should that user
know?

In my case, I can include the plugin with the install, but I think
there are enough users to justify this as a native function.

On 1/22/06, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
> Sean Hayford O'Leary wrote:
> > Could you list the pros and cons?
> >

> +
> One off install.
> Prominent message
>
> -
> Prominent message if you choose not to upgrade
> If wherever the information is grabbed from updates before the dev blog
> post it could lead to confusion (I don't know the who / how)
> No explanation of the version (which there should be. For instance 1.5.2
> is still a stable product so upgrading for the new code is advised if
> you want that, but it's safe to stay where you are.)
> If they then switch the plugin off, they could miss something important
> (if the system were a little more flexible).
>
> Some sort of messaging would be good, but then that's what the dash was
> for - and the contents of that have been removed or altered by many.
>
> My feelings are that a new release (or update) generates a lot of buzz
> which most should hear about. Maybe also some people choose not to
> upgrade and for others with older code, there is no way of telling them
> automatically.
>
> P.

Sean Hayford O'Leary
http://sdho.hayfordoleary.com