[wp-testers] WordPress cache, and IIS

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Dec 1 14:50:25 GMT 2005

Nickolas Means wrote:
> Current rewrite rules do little more than send the end of the URL to  WP
> for processing - there's really no way to make this simpler other  than
> to not use clean URL's.  You're going to have to have a rewriter  of
> some sort to make IIS pass on the information WP needs to give the  user
> the requested page.  As far as plugins writing things  in .htaccess -
> they shouldn't be.  That's an issue for the plugin  author to correct.

WordPress should be using the SCRIPT_NAME and/or PATH_INFO server
variables under IIS, which should allow friendly permalinks to work just
fine without a rewriter.  It worked ok the last time I tested it,
although this was a while ago.

> Long story short, you're trying to run a software application on an
> environment it wasn't initially designed to work on.

Issues that prevent WordPress from working properly on IIS should be
blockers.  Apache is recommended, but not required.  Unless a dev
specifically states that this has changed, I wouldn't go making blanket
statements to the contrary.

Any user running Windows XP Pro can test IIS issues by installing the
web services, so the idea that people don't have the platform to test on
is ludicrous.  Even if you're already running Apache locally, it should
be a simple matter to temporarily switch servers for testing.

Also, of the Fortune 1000, 53% use IIS:
http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/

Owen