[wp-testers] WordPress cache, and IIS

Nickolas Means nmeans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 05:04:52 GMT 2005

>> The bottom line is.... I could install Apache on my tiny little
>> server,
>> and I could modify .httpd, but if I work for FORD, GMC, Or the US
>> government, and I have to run IIS.... what can U do to help me out?

Another small note:

nmeans @ TomJobim:  [~] > curl -I ed.gov
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:32:19 GMT
Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.19.6  Apache/1.3.20 (Unix)
Location: http://www.ed.gov/index.jhtml

And I think you mean .htaccess, not .httpd.

Current rewrite rules do little more than send the end of the URL to
WP for processing - there's really no way to make this simpler other
than to not use clean URL's.  You're going to have to have a rewriter
of some sort to make IIS pass on the information WP needs to give the
user the requested page.  As far as plugins writing things
in .htaccess - they shouldn't be.  That's an issue for the plugin
author to correct.

CHMOD, by its very nature, won't work in a Windows environment.
Windows has different ways of setting directory access permissions
than Unix/Linux/OS X does, so you're going to have to translate what
"chmod 755" means and come to some close approximation of it using
Windows' facilities for permissions-setting.  PHP's fwrite function
will work just fine in a Windows environment so long as the directory
it's attempting to write to is permissioned such that the web server
can write to it.  This issue would be true of something written in
ASP as well, so it's not a PHP/Apache-specific issue.

Long story short, you're trying to run a software application on an
environment it wasn't initially designed to work on.  The WP people
may be making great strides in making it better on IIS, but you as
the server administrator are going to have to know a heck of a lot
about your box and making it whirr to get a non-standard
configuration like this to work.  The onus lies on you as the server
administrator, not WP as the community.  We'll do what we can to help
you out, but it all boils down to the fact that you're running a non-
standard configuration and not many of us are going to have
experience with it to even be able to help.

Nick