[wp-testers] WordPress cache, and IIS

Nickolas Means nmeans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 19:14:33 GMT 2005

> WordPress should be using the SCRIPT_NAME and/or PATH_INFO server
> variables under IIS, which should allow friendly permalinks to work
> just fine without a rewriter.  It worked ok the last time I tested
> it, although this was a while ago.
>
> Issues that prevent WordPress from working properly on IIS should
> be blockers.  Apache is recommended, but not required.  Unless a
> dev specifically states that this has changed, I wouldn't go making
> blanket statements to the contrary.

Perhaps the wording on wordpress.org should be changed then:

"We recommend Apache as the most robust and featureful server for
running WordPress, but any server that supports PHP and MySQL will
do. If your host doesn't support the above, including mod_rewrite, I
would honestly recommend looking for a better host. "

The "including mod_rewrite" thing throws me off.

> Any user running Windows XP Pro can test IIS issues by installing
> the web services, so the idea that people don't have the platform
> to test on is ludicrous.  Even if you're already running Apache
> locally, it should be a simple matter to temporarily switch servers
> for testing.

1) Didn't know it was an officially supported platform, so why would I?
2) I only have a Mac, so I can't anyway.

> Also, of the Fortune 1000, 53% use IIS:
> http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/

True, but 70% of the Internet at large runs Apache, compared to 21%
on IIS.
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

Not trying to start an argument here, but I honestly didn't know that
IIS was an officially supported platform - it's not stated anywhere
in any of the official documentation.  Also probably got a little
harsh to the user's "What can U do for me?" statement - the community
really owes him nothing and if he were a little less inflammatory in
his comments, I (and others, I'd imagine) might be more willing to help.

Nick