[wp-pro] Wordpress & MySQL expert needed

Hoboken411 hoboken411 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 18:31:18 GMT 2007

I run a fairly popular WP blog, and need some help with the MySQL databases.

Whatever can be done to reduce the CPU load MySQL is causing.

Whether it be:

-          Database Tuning

-          Adding an index here and there (can someone teach me?)

-          Possible re-writes to certain plugins (I have Get Recent
Comments, which is apparently a huge resource hog - But I need that plugin)

-          Server configuration tweaks (my.cnf, http.conf, etc)

-          Anything else to help reduce server load without losing
functionality.

I have a dedicated dual Xeon 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 2 SATA 80GB Hd's.

I've added all the available performance tools (wp-Cache, eAccelerator,
Varnish HTTP proxy, and more)

Here's my current my.cnf if anyone sees anything wrong with it, please let
me know.

--------------------------
[mysqld]
old_passwords=1
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
skip-locking
skip-innodb
safe-show-database
query_cache_limit=6M
query_cache_size=32M ## 32MB for every 1GB of RAM
query_cache_type=1
max_user_connections=512
max_connections=2048 # four times max_user_connections, to support the ad
software

#delayed_insert_timeout=40

interactive_timeout=10
wait_timeout=15
connect_timeout=20
thread_cache_size=512
key_buffer=64M ## 32MB for every 1GB of RAM
myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
join_buffer_size=8M
max_connect_errors=20
max_allowed_packet=64M
table_cache=2048
tmp_table_size=64M
max_heap_table_size=64M
record_buffer=2M
sort_buffer_size=2M ## 1MB for every 1GB of RAM
read_buffer_size=2M ## 1MB for every 1GB of RAM
read_rnd_buffer_size=2M ## 1MB for every 1GB of RAM
thread_concurrency=2 ## Number of CPUs x 2
server-id=1

long_query_time=1
#log-slow-queries=/var/log/mysql-slow.log
#log=/var/log/mysql-query.log

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib