[wp-pro] Specification for Site Development

Nathan Swartz design at clicknathan.com
Fri Oct 27 13:27:11 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am looking for a PHP developer to help me modify a WordPress CMS. The
site's purpose is to act as a sort of MySpace for homeowners in the
Pittsburgh area, not to help them sell their house (their will be no initial
ecommerce) but simply to act as a supplement to their realtor's site. I will
be designing and building the theme as well as modding WordPress to work as
a CMS, however, there are some additional plugins that I will need created.

Registration Wizard Plugin

The site will based around the concept that any user who registers will be
taken through a wizard which will easily allow them to upload images, add a
description, and create links with regards to the home they are attempting
to sell. So I need the registration process modded to work as follows:

1. User clicks the Register link.
2. Begin Wizard Steps
1. Contact Info: Name*, Phone Number*, Address*, Address 2*, City*, State
(only choice PA for now), ZIP*, email address*
2. House Details: Listing price (with checkbox for flexible / hard price
options)*, Property Address*, (check boxes for the rest) Square Footage, No.
of Bedrooms, No. of Bathrooms, Total Rooms, Garage, Finished basement
3. Physical Description: Basically a textarea for them to input a
description of the property.
4. Backstory: Textarea for them to input information on the house's history,
their time spent there, etc.
5. Selling Points: Textarea for additional selling information.
6. Outbound Links: Six empty fields that they can cut and paste links into.
Should be able to recognize whether http:// is present or not, and
autoformat accordingly. Also, a description field for each link.
7. Neighborhood: Choose the neighborhood from a dropdown list, choose the
school system from a filtered dropdown list (filtered by neighborhood).
8. Style: Allow them to choose from half a dozen themes for their page,
which I will supply a different CSS file for each and you just need to have
it call the right file.
9. Image Upload: Allow them to upload images - most images will just be of
their home, but there will also be a specific field for "Header Image" and
one for "Personal Image". The images will need to be automatically cropped
and resized.
10. Wizard Complete. The user is redirected to their Profile Display (not
the WordPress default Profile, see below.) Their information is sent via
email to the site's admin.

I will design and create the layout in CSS / XHTML for all of these page,
and you will be completely responsible for ensuring that the plugin works
completely when installed.
* Required fields.

Profile Display

In effect, by completing the Wizard, users are creating a profile which
contains their home's information, which would be viewable to anyone coming
to the site. Again, I will create sample CSS / XHTML pages for everything on
the site. The numbered items from the Wizard list above will be utilized in
the following ways:

1. Contact Info:
a.  Name* displayed on site.
b.  Phone Number*, Address*, Address 2*, City*, State (only choice PA for
now), ZIP* for our personal records only.
c.  Email address* will not be displayed, but a link stating "Email this
Homeowner" will direct them to a form which will allow them to email the
user without actually seeing the email address.
2. House Details:
a. Listing price, Property Address* displayed
b. Square Footage, No. of Bedrooms, No. of Bathrooms, Total Rooms, Garage,
Finished basement displayed only when they've been selected by the user
3. Physical Description: displayed
4. Backstory: displayed
5. Selling Points: displayed
6. Outbound Links: Using the description field as text and the link as the
href, list the links. All links need rel="external" inserted into the
opening a tags.
7. Neighborhood: Neighborhood and School district are displayed as links,
which link to another part of the site that explains those in more detail
(these sections created by us).
8. Style: Automatically call the stylesheet the user has chosen.
9. Image Upload:
a. Header Image will be displayed at the very top of their Profile Display.
b. Personal Image will be displayed next to their name
c. Additional images will be displayed as thumbnails, which link to the
larger versions of the images displayed on the actual site as a simple
slideshow, where the current image being viewed replaces everything above
(except the header image, Contact Info, and House Details a. sections) and a
prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next style linking system sits below it.
10. Comments. A comments section, similar to the default WordPress comments
should be included as well.

Also, each users Profile Display should be automatically given a URL of the
following formula: sitename.com/555streetname where 555streetname is
replaced by the number and street name portion of their properties address
(no street extension, ie. st., ave., dr., - in the case of duplicates, add a
sequentially rising digit to the end of the formula - 555streetname2.)

I'm thinking that each Profile Display could simply be a blog post. When
users register, they're in essence given permissions to write posts (a total
of one, actually).

Editing Their Profiles

Users should also be able to edit their profiles. If the user is viewing the
profile, at the bottom there will be a small "Edit this" link (only viewable
by the user who owns the profile and those with higher permissions (ie, the
admins)) which takes them to a screen where they can easily edit their
entire profiles. Instead of acting like the Wizard and forcing them to go
through all of the steps, it will display all of their information on
screen, at once. I will provide an example of this, but basically it will
just be repetitive of the Wizard, minus the seperate steps. Image handling
will need to require a delete feature for each image as well, so that they
can get rid of images they don't like.

Also in this section we'll need a "Print Flyers" button, which will
essentially allow them to print Postcard or 8.5 x 11 flyers that will simply
have the name/logo of the site and the user's specific URL.

User Profile Longevity

Initially, the site will be free to all users, to build a usership. However,
we want user's profiles to be automatically deleted after 6 months, unless
they manually renew. One month prior to deletion, a reminder email should be
sent to the user and the admin reminding them that this profile is about to
be deleted, and asking if they'd like to renew for 3 months. Clicking the
link in the email takes them to their Profile page, asks them if they want
to update any of the info, and then allows them to click Save which will
renew them for 3 months.

Users will also have the ability to delete their own account at any time.

Deleted accounts are not actually deleted for ever, simply made inactive -
we'll need to access their information for the tracking info below.

Follow Up Polling

When a user closes his account or it is deleted automatically, we would like
to have them polled. We'll probably do this with SurveyMonkey or something,
but we would like an email automatically sent to them confirming that their
account has expired / been deleted by them and would they please take this
short survey.

Tracking

We need to track the following:

1. How many page views each Profile Display gets.
2. How many times each outbound link was clicked.
3. How many times the "Email the Homeowner" link was clicked.

Reporting

Tracking should be displayed within the Manage area of WordPress' admin
pages, and should be easily viewable by the admins, as follows:

1. Page One: list of all users with the following information displayed to
the right of them in the same row:
a. Username
b. Profile Status (Current / Expired)
c. Total Page Views to Date
d. Total Outbound Clicks to Date (how many people have clicked any of their
outbound links)
e. Total Email Clicks to Date (how many people have clicked the Email the
Homeowner link)
f.  Details (takes you to another page with breakdowns of each of the above
Totals fields, as follows:)
1. Username, Profile Status, Total Page Views to Date, Total Email Clicks to
Date, and a link to their Profile Display
2. Total Outbound Clicks to Date broken down into the individual links and
how many clicks they've received
2. Page One should be broken down into 100 users / time, alphabetically
sorted, and should include a search function that searches for users using
all of their profile fields that aren't textarea fields, checkboxes or
images initially.

We'll need advanced search functionality for people perusing the site
looking for homes. Essentially, it will search all of the information that
Profile Displays contain, as such:

1. Search Box for typing in specific keywords
2. Listing Price dropdown range
3. Square footage dropdown range
4. No of bedrooms dropdown range
5. No of bathrooms dropdown range
6. Total Rooms dropdown range
7. Checkboxes for "has Garage", "has Finished basement"
8. Multiple choices allowed list of Neighborhoods
9. Multiple choices allowed list of School districts
10. Checkbox for "has images"

What I Need from Applicant Developers:

1. References - please provide me with example sites and employer
references- sites should allow me to see the backend if at all
possible. Serious
applicants only who do this full time - no part timers please, I'll need
someone who's available to be contacted by phone, in the US, and during
normal business hours.
2. Timeline - The development aspect of this project will begin sometime in
January 2007 and need to be completed by end of February 2007. A more
specific timeline can be arranged between myself and the chosen developer.
3. Quote Breakdown - When providing your quote, can you please break it down
into individual segments as follows:

a. Registration Wizard Plugin
b. Profile Display
c. Editing Their Profiles
d. User Profile Longevity (including Follow Up Polling email - not the
survey, just the email)
e. Tracking & Reporting
f.  Advanced Search Functionality

The breakdown isn't so that we can pick and choose from developers (we'll be
using one developer for the entire project) but so that we can get a better
idea of where the cost is going on this and eliminate any features if
necessary.

Thank you for your time and please respond with any additional questions you
might have,

Nathan Swartz
clicknathan.com