[wp-polyglots] Portuguese (pt_PT) Wordpress.org site

José Fontainhas jfontainhas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 13:17:04 GMT 2008

Nikolay Bachiyski escreveu:
> 2008/2/14, José Fontainhas <jfontainhas at gmail.com>:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  We are about ready to start pt.wordpress.org (or something, see below)
>>
>>  Could someone remind me of the requirements? (aside from the svn structure,
>> which is ok), namely:
>>
>>  -the Cname. Its for European Portuguese, so should it be pt.wordpress.org
>> or pt_PT.wordpress.org or pt-PT.wordpress.org or what?
>>

> Yours is the most complex case we have had up to now :-)

I hope you are kidding :)
> Probably pt.wordpress.org is ok, the Brazilians can get pt-br.

Hence my doubt. Brazilian users are going to be looking for a
"Portuguese" version of WP. Granted, what they really want is a pt_BR
version, but they refer to their language (well, "our" language,
actually. Numa boa aí, pessoal dos trópicos... :) ) as "Portuguese" and
not as "Brazilian Portuguese".

Wouldn't it make better sense to have:
pt.wordpress.org (Title: "Portugal")
and
br.wordpress.org (Title: "Brasil")
?

Any brazilian users want to chip in?

>>  -the Title: Português, Portugal,...?
>>

> The language name is better.

So why does fr.wordpress.org shows as "France" and not as "Français" and
de.wordpress.org shows as "Deutschland" and not as "Deutsch"? The logic
doesn't seem clear to me especially since uk.wordpress.org ("uk", the
language) shows up as Україна ("Ukraine", the region). Hmmm.... This is
confusing for situations where a language is spoken in several countries
(i.e es_ES, es_AR, es_MX) and for countries where several languages are
spoken (think Switzerland: it_CH, fr_CH, de_CH?)

>>  -after translating the .pot, what name should the corresponding .mo/.po
>> have?
>>
>>  I know there's a post somewhere describing this but I can't seem to find
>> it.
>>

> Here it is: http://codex.wordpress.org/International_WordPress_Sites

Obrigado. And the PO/MO and screenshot should be sent attached to a
message to this list?
> Happy translating,
> Nikolay.

Cheers and thanks