[wp-polyglots] i18n-ed theme and the repository

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Mon Sep 24 11:22:19 GMT 2007

2007/9/24, Kimmo Suominen <kimmo at global-wire.fi>:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 08:14:36PM +0300, Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:
> > > I really think a Makefile provided by a localisation should be used to
> > > package the localised version of WordPress.  I know this means trusting
> > > the users committing the files into svn to run shell commands on the
> > > build system.  Since we already trust them to provide php code to be
> > > run by the end-users, this shouldn't really be a problem.
> >
> > It is a good choice for you and me. However many translators aren't
> > developers and/or unix enthusiasts, so a web interface will be way
> > more useful for them.
>
> Using a Makefile and having a web interface are not mutually exclusive
> options.

Right. In the beginning I tried to use your build tools for the web
interface, but it proved better to rewrite it in php. I will extract
the build functions and will release them to the wild soon.

> If there is no Makefile in a given localisation tree, the web interface
> can use default rules from a standard Makefile (external to the given
> localisation).  Such a standard Makefile would probably run a script
> like the current build.sh you and me use anyway.
>
> I just think a Makefile would make for a better interface than a script,
> because the arguments for a localised packaging script could then be
> isolated from the build system through the use of make(1).

As I said before, these points make sense if you live in your shell.
Nowadays people tend to live in their browsers, sigh...

By the way, the wp-gettext script in your fi_FI repo doesn't take into
account _c gettext calls.You can have a look at current one in tools.
And speaking of Makefiles, you can also have a look at the bg_BG one
[0], I added some other functionality like updating the po file,
building the mo, easy installing and uninstalling the just-built
packages.

> I'm mostly thinking of how I'd like to include the i18n theme myself.
> I think I'd want to unpack the default distribution tar.gz and remove
> the wp-content/themes/default directory completely, and replace it with
> the i18n theme files.  But others might want to do it differently.
> (Even I might want to do it differently, eventually -- maybe the binary
> files should be kept from the original.)

I am doing the same. I replace the default one with my default one and
I ship another theme named default-en, which is the original default
theme.

What are the most common choices about the default theme
shipping/translation? At this stage here are what I have in mind:
1. Leave everything as-is -- neither ship translated theme, nor
i18n-ed version and a mo.
2. Use hard-translated theme -- contents of
wordpress-i18n/xx_XX/<branch>/theme/default replace
wp-content/themes/default. Ship the original default theme as
default-en.
3. Use i18n-ed version of theme -- replaces wp-content/themes/default
with wordpress-i18n/theme/<branch>/ and copy
wordpress-i18n/xx_XX/<branch>/messages/kubrick/xx_XX.po/mo there.

Any other?