[wp-polyglots] i18n-ed theme and the repository

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Tue Sep 25 07:54:52 GMT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:22:19PM +0300, Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:

> > I just think a Makefile would make for a better interface than a script,
> > because the arguments for a localised packaging script could then be
> > isolated from the build system through the use of make(1).
>
> As I said before, these points make sense if you live in your shell.
> Nowadays people tend to live in their browsers, sigh...

I guess I fail to see the point.  It is relatively trivial to embed
the output of make(1) in a web page.

Anyway, my point was that it would be nice for the packaging to be
customisable by the localisation team.  The underlying mechanics is
not as important.  I can just as well write customisation in PHP,
if that's the environment we are given.

> By the way, the wp-gettext script in your fi_FI repo doesn't take into
> account _c gettext calls.You can have a look at current one in tools.
> And speaking of Makefiles, you can also have a look at the bg_BG one
> [0], I added some other functionality like updating the po file,
> building the mo, easy installing and uninstalling the just-built
> packages.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> What are the most common choices about the default theme
> shipping/translation? At this stage here are what I have in mind:
> 1. Leave everything as-is -- neither ship translated theme, nor
> i18n-ed version and a mo.
> 2. Use hard-translated theme -- contents of
> wordpress-i18n/xx_XX/<branch>/theme/default replace
> wp-content/themes/default. Ship the original default theme as
> default-en.
> 3. Use i18n-ed version of theme -- replaces wp-content/themes/default
> with wordpress-i18n/theme/<branch>/ and copy
> wordpress-i18n/xx_XX/<branch>/messages/kubrick/xx_XX.po/mo there.

Currently I only keep the changed files for the default theme in
the fi_FI repository.  On packaging, I keep the default theme from
the core as is and then copy over the files from the fi_FI repo,
overwriting files from the core.  This is ok, since there are no
files that would need to be deleted from the core.

In other words, it would be nice if it was an option to just overwrite
with localised files instead of replacing the whole theme.

This way e.g. the images subdirectory of the default theme does not
need to be duplicated in the fi_FI repo.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>