[wp-polyglots] i18n-ed theme and the repository

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Sun Sep 23 21:01:28 GMT 2007

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 08:14:36PM +0300, Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:
> > I really think a Makefile provided by a localisation should be used to
> > package the localised version of WordPress.  I know this means trusting
> > the users committing the files into svn to run shell commands on the
> > build system.  Since we already trust them to provide php code to be
> > run by the end-users, this shouldn't really be a problem.
>
> It is a good choice for you and me. However many translators aren't
> developers and/or unix enthusiasts, so a web interface will be way
> more useful for them.

Using a Makefile and having a web interface are not mutually exclusive
options.

If there is no Makefile in a given localisation tree, the web interface
can use default rules from a standard Makefile (external to the given
localisation).  Such a standard Makefile would probably run a script
like the current build.sh you and me use anyway.

I just think a Makefile would make for a better interface than a script,
because the arguments for a localised packaging script could then be
isolated from the build system through the use of make(1).

I'm mostly thinking of how I'd like to include the i18n theme myself.
I think I'd want to unpack the default distribution tar.gz and remove
the wp-content/themes/default directory completely, and replace it with
the i18n theme files.  But others might want to do it differently.
(Even I might want to do it differently, eventually -- maybe the binary
files should be kept from the original.)

In the end, maybe a lot of customisation is not needed in the packaging,
but on the other hand, if freedom is designed into it, it should not
hurt either.

> The package generation is not done automatically. The translators have
> web interface, which allows them to make private builds, examine them
> and publicly release only those, which are suitable for their users.

Excellent -- this sounds perfect to me.

Cheers,
+ Kimmo
--