[wp-polyglots] i18n-ed theme and the repository

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Sun Sep 23 17:14:36 GMT 2007

2007/9/20, Kimmo Suominen <kimmo at global-wire.fi>:
> I think the gettexted theme should be handled just the same way as the
> default theme is handled currently.  In other words, include its files
> in the theme/default directory of the localisation.
>
> Otherwise you need to be able to tell which revision of the theme files
> are to be included, so that different versions of WordPress can still be
> packaged from svn.

We can tell this looking at the branch. Just we have to keep a theme
version corresponding to each branch.

> If the build system always includes files directly from the top-level
> theme/trunk directory, the po/mo file might not match it.

No, not always. The previous note is relevant here, also translators
will have a choice whether to use the i18n-ed theme or not.

> There's already a problem packaging old version of core WordPress from
> svn, because of Akismet being an external.  At least in my experience,
> the external reference always pulls in the latest Akismet, instead of
> the one that was current when the old WordPress version was originally
> packaged.  Let's not add more such trouble.
>
> If a way to reference files outside each localisation is developed,
> there should be an explicit way of enabling it, and I think it should be
> disabled by default.
Agree.

> I really think a Makefile provided by a localisation should be used to
> package the localised version of WordPress.  I know this means trusting
> the users committing the files into svn to run shell commands on the
> build system.  Since we already trust them to provide php code to be
> run by the end-users, this shouldn't really be a problem.

It is a good choice for you and me. However many translators aren't
developers and/or unix enthusiasts, so a web interface will be way
more useful for them.

> The last thing I want is that an automated system starts packaging
> a localised version of WordPress with different contents than intended
> by the localisation team.  This probably means that any automation
> should also only be enabled for a given localisation explicitly, and
> there should be a way for the localisation team to inspect the results
> before the package is offered for download by the general public.

The package generation is not done automatically. The translators have
web interface, which allows them to make private builds, examine them
and publicly release only those, which are suitable for their users.