[wp-polyglots] Something has gone wrong in my process

Lurie, Peter peter.lurie at luxartis.com
Wed Sep 12 10:45:09 GMT 2007

I have been trying to include some new German terms into a po/mo update to a
Theme in WordPress

The original Theme was in German, but no specific mo/po was included.

Here is my sequence:
1. downloaded the official po/mo files from wordpress germany, and then set
to work.
2. translated the terms in all the documents into German
3. Wrapped the terms with _e and __
4. Tried using poEdit for Mac (and as a last resort poEdit for PC using
Parallels), and couldn¹t get a po file generated, augmenting the official
po.
5. A kind man, John Godley, generated a po file for me.
6. Then edited the german terms (which were in the wrong column) using a
text editor.
7. Added english terms
8. Sent the file Back to John, who produced a mo file
9. The mo file doesn¹t work, and now not even the standard translations are
working.

I guess my mistake was not to generate the po file BEFORE translating the
php docs in WordPress?

Can somebody help me sort this out, please.

1. Do I have to redo the po updating from sources, and start from
untranslated theme files (functions & additional words)?
2. How would a German/non-English person set up the procedure? (for example:
going from German to English)

Many thanks
Peter