[wp-polyglots] Tips for translating with Rosetta

Xavier Borderie xibe at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 14:52:00 GMT 2005

> Would it be possible to agree on a character set
> used in the
> translation project, and then convert the message to
> use entities when
> compiling the distributed po file?

I think we can't, 'cos that would mean the user has to
use that same set (let's say utf-8)... and some of
them, for instance, imported their blog from a former
system, which uses a differente set (oooh, iso-8859-1
sounds fitting). They would then have to convert all
their former post.
Plus a host of other reasons. I guess.
I used to compile two versions of fr_FR, but that's
not good practice, I think. Yes, entering the entities
by hand is a pain, but in the end everybody wins.

But as the song says, I might be wrong, 'cos IANWPD (I
Am Not A WordPress Developer), so YMMV, AFAIK.

=====
x.