[wp-polyglots] Tips for translating with Rosetta

K Suominen ksuominen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:10:35 GMT 2005

I think you are misunderstanding.

The problem you are describing is solved by using entities in the po
file, on which there is no disagreement.

I just find it quite impractical (I'd like to say "impossible") to
enter the translations using entities as opposed to typing the
appropriate keys on my keyboard.

For example, if I need to translate "today", I could just type
"tänään" (in ISO-8859-1) on my keyboard.  There is a dedicated key for
"ä" on it.  Using entities, I'd have to type
"t&adiaeresis;n&adiaeresis;&adiaeresis;n".  Not exactly a natural way
of working...

So my proposal is that e.g. for the Finnish translation, we choose
ISO-8859-1 as the character set to use while translating the strings.
Then we use PHP (or Perl or sed, even) to encode the strings to using
entities (e.g. using the htmlentities() function).  This is perfectly
doable since we *know* the character set used for the translation
project for Finnish (i.e. that all messages are ISO-8859-1).

Since the distributed translation (processed through the script) has
only entities, not 8-bit characters, it is safe to use with any
character set.

Regards,
+ Kim