[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Dec 10 16:36:01 UTC 2010

On 10 December 2010 16:08, Eric Mann <eric at eam.me> wrote:

> > But you could have done that in subversion (or CVS before that).
> >

> No, I couldn't.
>
> Since the WordPress SVN repository lives on the WordPress servers and I
> don't have commit access there, I can't branch the repository and commit my
> changes to that branch.  If I'm using a *local* SVN repository on my own
> network I can, but then I've manually recreated a Git/Mercurial workflow by
> trying to bridge between two repositories.  Why reinvent the wheel when
> other tools have automated that process?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a non-WordPress project, as your
previous section had been about a .net project. Sorry for the
misunderstanding.

By the way, Subversion does 'vendor branches' (at least that's the cvs name
for them) that allow you to manage an external copy of a repository and keep
updating it (pull in new code), as well as have your own code in the same
repository.

I used to manage my copy of the b2 repository that way, back when using
'plugins' meant you had to modify core to include them.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/