[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Wed Feb 8 15:11:53 GMT 2006

Doug Stewart wrote:
> That seems like a particularly unhelpful analogy to be following here.
> Linux distros ship a lot of software with each release and are
> responsible for insuring that all that software works together.
> WordPress' model is exactly the opposite: you get core functionality and
> Hello Dolly, nothing else.  Unless you're proposing shipping a massive
> .zip/.tar.gz with every bloody plugin known to the WP community, I fail
> to see the comparison as a valid one.
>
> Most plugins are the work of a single author, with little code control
> or existing bug tracking interface.  The best way to keep plugins
> working and up to date is to bug the authors, a task which is best left
> to a decentralized infrastructure (i.e., let the people who use the
> plugins annoy the plugin authors).
>
> I think something along the lines of the old One-Click installs from
> wp-plugins.net or the direction that Alchemy/Elixir were heading is a
> much better idea, IMNSHO.

Not to reply to myself here or anything, but perhaps what everyone would
prefer is something along the lines of the Six Apart/Movable Type model,
wherein a centralized official feed of recent plugins (and "Featured"
plugins, as well) is available on their central server.  There's even a
nice Atom feed showing the newest releases. Everyone else is pretty much
operating off the ranch.

http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/plugins/

Just 'cause they're the "competition" doesn't mean we can't "steal" good
ideas from 'em.  In fact, I'd say it's a great idea.  *grin*
--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com