[wp-forums] The "moderator" hat

Jen Mylo jenmylo at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 24 13:50:09 UTC 2014

On 4/24/14 6:20 AM, Mika Epstein wrote:
> What I meant, and what I feel, is that we cannot know everything and we have no obligation to answer EVERYONE. In doing so, we screw up the no-replies checkers as much as they do with bumping. :/
Lately I've been looking at a lot of support threads because checking
activity on .org via the list on profiles is one of the ways I vet new
meetup organizers. When I see thread after thread with no reply, it
breaks my heart and makes me both sad and embarrassed -- especially when
there was no reply and it was closed by moderators without even a
comment. Anything we can do to make it easier for no-reply checks to be
accurate and acted on is important.

Andrew had a point when he said you might need to ask a couple of
questions to be able to help. Yes, and if you choose to ask those
questions, then please follow up with an answer, or if you can't figure
it out, ask someone to help you figure it out. Then the thread gets an
answer and you just learned something. Bonus!

If you don't know the answer and aren't particularly interested in
figuring it out, leaving an extraneous comment messes with other
moderators' ability to get the job done, so refrain.

If you are angry about someone's tone, but don't want to answer their
question, modlook it or report it so someone else can kindly but firmly
lay a slapdown on the user's tone while addressing the user's question,
and you can move on to a question that you want to answer.

For the record, I am pretty much always available to drop into a thread
and play bad cop and ask someone specific to help solve the
troubleshooting issue if needed. :)