[wp-forums] Profanity in Usernames

it's EMG its.emg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 03:20:48 UTC 2010

Understood.

And I like the idea of the link at the top or something, too, with a brief
message that lets registrants know there ARE guidelines to follow.

The idea about sending a copy to the email and/or offering people a chance
to see the rules is more about making sure people know what the rules are
and don't have an excuse for not adhering to them (and making another fuss
in the forums as a result) rather than actual...

An analogy:

Insurance (for us!) versus actual 'Here are the rules - read them or die!'
sort of mentality.

Maybe I'm the only one but it bugs me that people sort of pass off the
'inaccessibility' of website guidelines (meaning, they are simply posted in
the forums and not made prominent) as legitimate reasons to 'not know any
better' and behave poorly.

Also, how many newbies to the forum do you think sign up for the forum and
then spend time to check out the guidelines on their own without any
prompting before they post?

I can't tell you how many times I've been 'congratulated' by various forum
admins and mods for 'reading the guidelines before posting'; apparently
people not reading guidelines unless it's waved in front of their faces and
then complaining about it later is a commonplace.

Just my two coins worth, though for sure!

~ EMG