[wp-forums] removing traces... ++ Forum FAQ

Christopher J. Hradil chradil at comcast.net
Fri Sep 8 11:31:42 GMT 2006

personally, when someone links to an example of something in a forum thread (where it's of value),
it should stay if possible in order to maintain the most complete information possible for future
readers. the argument for removing things like "I'm installing wp at client.com" etc when requested
is fine, but I'd agree that making 'link eradication' part of the daily moderator regimen isn't
needed.

some food for thought -- a while back I set up a wp 'sandbox' area at mysite/sandbox for such
links/examples and also offered logins to anyone interested so they had a permanent place to link in
the demos/examples/testing etc. I've since moved it out to http://sandbox.hradil.us -- anyone who
needs an admin login there can just let me know, and you'll have a permanent place to keep your
examples, etc. without compromising client link information, names, etc.

I think this issue (since it's come up before) crosses over into the FAQ/forum updates thread:

FAQ #x : If you're considering posting a link to your problem in your forum post, consider that this
link/information will be included in the forums permanently, visible in forum search results and
spidered by Google, etc. So, if you're a developer/designer you might consider using something other
than a direct link to a client's site for privacy reasons.

...c

~~
Christopher J. Hradil
http://hradil.us