[wp-forums] Forum moderation

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 16:22:41 GMT 2006

I've been quite busy with offline issues, but have tried to keep an eye on
these threads.  I just re-read the thread at issue, and aside from the
typical mac user slam from deko, the thread was civil.  Then a comment about
not liking the french, then Lara's comment crossed the line, IMO, as hers
was a personal attack, vs the generic, common mac user stereotype made by
deko.    Obviously deko took offense to the acne comments and the like, and
retaliated with his own comments. I think Handy handle the situation fine.

Perhaps both comments should be removed, however the bigger issue is how
such should be handled in the future.  Warnings are one thing, but making a
user inactive for a week might be a better solution.

Obviously the desire to keep volunteers around is important, but not to the
point of alienating other users and volunteers.   When one particular
"volunteer"  continually is at the center of issues that really don't occur
that often in the forum, then notice should be taken of that.
Perhaps one issue is the thread was completely not WP related, therefore was
allowed to venture into general discussion.  I know I didn't really follow
the thread for that reason.

I'd like to thank Handy for his work in the forum, as personal life has
taken several other mods away from spending as much time in the forums as
they used to, or at all.  It's not an easy task, and having your judgement
put under a microscope isn't fun.  Again, I think he handled the situtation
just fine by asking for civility, and then closing the thread.  As I stated,
perhaps both comments could be removed, but that is a delicate matter that
some are not a comfortable with as others.

Michael