[wp-forums] Forum moderation

Lara at Anubis Marketing lara at anubismarketing.com
Sun Jul 2 13:00:10 GMT 2006

HS - This was not in any way an attempt to secure your head on a platter,
your soul in a jar, nothing like that.

However being a new mod, you should be open to receiving a little critique
when people disagree with your way of handling things. It's not about YOU,
it's about the fact that you're a new mod, and that you should WANT to know
how people feel about the job you're doing as such.

At this point? A really honorable thing to do would be to "fix what's
broken" if you could, and learn from it. I agree with not re-opening the
threads (shows a lack of consistency, ok fine), however do you really feel
that it's okay to leave insults like the one I've received
(http://wordpress.org/support/topic/77213/page/2?replies=56) up like that?
After reading all of this, do you, or any other mod for that matter, really
think that not deleting these sorts of things (as outlined in the Forum
Rules post) is GOOD for the forum as a whole? It degrades the entire forum
to a 6th grade level... and anyone who reads it is bound to wonder what the
hell they went there seeking help for.

(For the record, I'm not claiming total innocence here - I made a reference
to the possibility of deko being "a pimply faced kid locked up in his "goth"
bedroom..." - however that was after his repeated stereotypical insults - my
comment was said in kind, and then he made it personal - went to my website,
saw that I was overweight, and proceeded to hit with the lowest blow he
could muster. In my opinion, the last 10 or so posts on that thread should
be gone, as well as those where deko made his stereotypical insults...
that's when things started, and there were at least 4 people involved with
either useless comments or insults...)

No one's trying to beat you down here - but rather talk about how these
actions make us feel - how we think they reflect on the forum as a whole,
and how they should be improved upon now, and in the future. You're not the
only one who's done it (Podz even said he's guilty of it too) but it just so
happens that I think we'd rather nip things like this in the bud rather than
have it happen again - and maybe by going through this, the other mods will
think about the ways they react as well. We're not faulting you for being a
new mod - just asking that you revisit your process and guard against this
kind of thing in the future... that's all.

Everyone makes mistakes - it's up to us as individuals to fix them, and
learn from them.

Thanks,
Lara