[wp-forums] Forum moderation

wordpress forums wordpress.forums at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 23:28:35 GMT 2006

> > One more thing - now that whoo's thread has been closed (rather than just
> > the non-important posts being deleted), no one can either help her, or ask
> > questions or seek clarification when they too run into the same problem. How
> > is that productive or conducive to the forum's goals?
>
> The thread is closed.

And I am fine with that.

> - we can't have mods worrying about using their judgement. Things like
> this on the list are enough of a reminder of not just how we should act
> but also the scrutiny we are put under.

I need clarification on this. Are you saying there that you dont want
mods to "worry" per say about doing something thats percieved as "not
cool" (to use a light term). Or are you saying that you dont want mods
to have to think about what they are doing before they act? I
certainly hope its the first?

I would rather see mods do both: think and not do things largely
percieved as not cool. And not to kick a dead horse, but i think my 2
examples are examples of what not to do.

--
Honestly, I expected someone to come back on here and say something
like it, "mods shouldnt give opinions in threads regarding this reply

example:   "Civility gone."

I would have preferred: "lets keep on topic please." or something to
that effect.

Going back to the other thread, I would have liked to see some sort of
admonishment for the absolutely uncalled for fat joke that was tossed
out, and left intact at the locking of the thread.

My point being that just locking threads infers an opinion. Tack on a
few short words and youve probably compounded it. Often times, further
clarification can go a long way.

Nobody needs to feel humiliated needlessly, and EVERYONE has face to
save, even those on the Internet.

Fwiw, I emailed handy via his contact form on his site before I posted
here. My email to him wasnt quite as well-voiced as Ive been here
unfortunately. Contact forms make me feel penned in. (Not enough text
space, I think.)

-whoo