[wp-docs] The main page.

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Mon Aug 29 22:40:57 UTC 2011

On 8/29/11 6:29 PM, Mika A Epstein wrote:
> It sounds like Andrea's saying we should focus on 'How WordPress.org installs work' rather than 'How WordPress.com works.'
>
> Yes, there's a tonne of crossover, and there are some .com docs we could lift wholesale and be happy about, but there's a lot that you CANNOT do on .com (install a plugin) and vice versa (there are some admin screens that are surprising the first time you see them).
>
> A doc on 'So you've come here from .com…' would be sensible.
>
> A how to use .com would not be.
How to use .com does not belong in the .org Codex. It is a proprietary
hosted site, and has its own documentation by its own paid staff. At
most something lumped in with how to use the importers on how to import
from .com would be okay.

> This goes the same for people on Page.ly, which IIRC provides a limited MultiSite install for people to use.
Page.ly does individual installs and you can run any theme or plugin, afaik.

> I'm not opposed to 'how to' docs in general, though the codex has been a documentation repository, and if we were to change it to a tutorial site, that's okay, but we have to manage to support BOTH tracks at that, and I'm not sure we're supporting one, to be honest.  We have to be cautious going down the tutorial slope, and there's already http://learn.wordpress.com/ - Maybe a learn.wordpress.org would be better served as a separate site. Leave the codex for pure documentation, with in-line examples.
The intention for learn.wordpress.org is for tutorials and self-guided
online courses/projects to teach how to use stuff. GSoC just ended and
we'll be integrating the Courseware plugin that got worked on by Stas
Suscov (intended for learn.wordpress.org) as soon as we get some UI
worked out. Will be putting call out for content creators for this once
the infrastructure is settled. After profiles, before 3.3 comes out.