[wp-docs] The main page.

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Mon Aug 29 22:29:21 UTC 2011

It sounds like Andrea's saying we should focus on 'How WordPress.org installs work' rather than 'How WordPress.com works.'

Yes, there's a tonne of crossover, and there are some .com docs we could lift wholesale and be happy about, but there's a lot that you CANNOT do on .com (install a plugin) and vice versa (there are some admin screens that are surprising the first time you see them).

A doc on 'So you've come here from .com…' would be sensible.

A how to use .com would not be.

This goes the same for people on Page.ly, which IIRC provides a limited MultiSite install for people to use.  We can't really help them, though some of the docs will be of interest. They're not the target.  The target is people who are installing (via one click or whatever) WordPress.org software on a server.

I'm not opposed to 'how to' docs in general, though the codex has been a documentation repository, and if we were to change it to a tutorial site, that's okay, but we have to manage to support BOTH tracks at that, and I'm not sure we're supporting one, to be honest.  We have to be cautious going down the tutorial slope, and there's already http://learn.wordpress.com/ - Maybe a learn.wordpress.org would be better served as a separate site. Leave the codex for pure documentation, with in-line examples.

----
Mika A Epstein (aka Ipstenu)
http://ipstenu.org