[wp-docs] Documentation Drive

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 17:29:43 UTC 2010

We've done these in the past and they have been very successful and very
not. :D They key is that they be coordinated and very clear in their
intention and structure.

People who write really awesome articles on WordPress want to "own" the
content. They also tend to want credit and links back to themselves to
further their reputation and often get paid jobs as a WordPress expert.
Finding a way to make this process work without the "I" and credit and make
it a team effort is the challenge.

The most successful approach has been when we work on the documents together
as a team across a one to two month "swarm" time (
http://www.scottporad.com/2009/06/24/want-to-get-more-done-heres-how-do-less/)
it is very successful as one comes up with an idea, writes it up in a
specific section off the table of contents, people add to it, edit it, and
develop the idea further though conversations in the IRC for docs. When it's
ready, it's moved into the final spot on the Codex and added to the TOC.
It's very intense and really works well.

Call to actions for people to submit their documents like a competition or
just encouraged to do so have been very unsuccessful. It's the stimulation
that comes from working with like minds that seems to encourage
participation rather than "here's my article" and the docs team having to
edit the "I" out of it. Boring work for all involved.

I'd love to take the energy from the WordPress 3.0 release to get the docs
team rocking. So that's a look at the past. What can we do now?

Lorelle