[wp-docs] Documentation Drive

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 13:51:01 UTC 2010

Mark Jaquith mentioned that 'We're even considering "taking a release
off" to work on WordPress.org'. [1]

If this is the case, maybe as part of this it would be a good idea to
co-ordinate a documentation improvement drive. Kind of like a bug hunt
but a not-very-good-documentation-hunt instead. In fact it could take
just the same format as a bug hunt, but rather than going through
tickets, volunteers would go through Codex articles and update or
improve them as necessary. We could even identify areas that need new
Codex articles writing and do that at the same time.

I've also noticed [2] that the Info Page for each of the mailing lists
are completely void of information (probably one of the main reason
wp-hackers gets its steady stream of threads that don't really belong
there). I don't know if Mailman allows for these pages to be
customised, but they could be used to provide a big pile of
information about exactly what the mailing list is and where best to
get support in cases where the mailing list isn't appropriate.
Information to go on these pages could be written as part of the
documentation drive.

Does this sound like a good idea? I think many members of the
community would be willing to help out as we all know the docs need
improving but I know personally that the motivation to do it is low (I
do try!). A co-ordinated effort by the commnunity would give a big
lift to all those involved.

John

[1] http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2010-June/032370.html
[2] http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2010-June/032372.html