[wp-docs] Mail from WP user

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:06:09 GMT 2007

Hi folks,
This mail landed in my inbox today. I occasionally get an email like
this. This time, I thought I would reproduce it here to share a couple
of thoughts with you. The reason I did not forward the mail to this
list is that it arrived a different email id from the one I am
subscribed to wp-docs with.

The email:
-----------------
Hi Carthik,

I'm a database developer but a newbie to WP.

1. How do I find a theme that I like?  The number of them is
overwhelming.  When I go to: http://themes.wordpress.net/
I see black rectangles where the screenshots should be.  Am I doing
something wrong?

2. The official wordpress.org website has lessons on it but there are
dozens of tiny lessons.  Is there anyplace to download a large WP
tutorial/document as a PDF, print it out and work with?

Thanks a lot!

--------------

My comments:
1) The themes at themes.wordpress.net need some love - black
rectangles are not really helpful. :) I noticed this earlier, but I
thought it is something transient and might get fixed soon.

2) We do need a book-ish thingy that we can point users at that they
can download. This might just be the single most important missing
link in the documentation.

I will reply to the user myself for now - he seems to have found my
comment on my own userpage inviting users to contact me for help if
the codex fails them, which brings us to point 3:
3) We need to have a way to let codex's users contact a person, or a
team(the wp-docs list, the forums?) if the codex fails to answer their
question/fulfil their need. This needs to be highlighted, maybe a
little more than it is now.

Regards,
Carthik.
--