[wp-docs] Duplicated article lists...

Jerry Peek jpeek at jpeek.com
Sat Jan 20 14:15:27 GMT 2007

Jennifer Hodgdon wrote:
> What I've come across is that there are quite a few Codex pages that are
> overlapping lists of articles.
> I'm concerned because each of these lists has different articles, and
> there is not one sole source to look at for a comprehensive list. Also,
> some of the lists are not annotated, so you don't really know what you
> will find when you click on the link  ...

I'm glad you brought this up, Jennifer.  There was some discussion on
this list at the start of December (before you joined?).  Matt replied
to my message on the topic by saying "it'd be nice if the links on the
front page of wordpress.org and more links on the Codex homepage took
you directly to content."  If Matt wants those pages cleaned up, I'd
guess that he (and others) would agree with fixing more-minor pages.
But, as I read in a discussion somewhere else (I've lost track of
where), some people do like this system of links-to-links.

I'm new to WordPress, so my advice could be shortsighted.  Still, I'll
try. ;-)  Instead of replacing the pages, you might put revised page(s)
in a temporary location so people can have a look.  If they look good,
you could install them in the most likely location -- and revise the
obsolete pages of links to say "this page has moved to NEW-LOCATION".
(I can't think of a way to maintain compatibility with the old system of
multiple overlapping pages.  Suggestions, anybody?)

If anyone disagrees, I hope this message will encourage them to say so!

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek at jpeek.com, www.jpeek.com