[wp-docs] Duplicated article lists...

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Sat Jan 20 16:28:43 GMT 2007

>> [Jennifer] What I've come across is that there are quite a few Codex pages that
>> are overlapping lists of articles.
>> I'm concerned because each of these lists has different articles, and
>> there is not one sole source to look at for a comprehensive list.
>> Also, some of the lists are not annotated, so you don't really know
>> what you will find when you click on the link  ...

> [Jerry quoting Matt] "it'd be nice if the links on the
> front page of wordpress.org and more links on the Codex homepage took
> you directly to content."

Actually, I think it's appropriate for the wordpress.org front page
links to take you to a good table of contents. I'm also in favor of
having different tables of contents at different levels of detail --
for instance, the Codex home page could link to the TOC on Themes, the
TOC on Plugins, etc. And the Dev TOC could also link to both of those
TOCs. This all seems like a good idea, as long as the links to TOCs
are annotated to say "this is a list of all the good links on a subject".

What I'm against is having multiple tables of contents on the same
topic, with slightly different lists of links, because when someone
goes to add a new page, they'll never manage to add it to all the
TOCs, and then an interested reader won't be able to find relevant
pages. And so I would like to clean those up, consolidate them, etc. I
think most of the existing pages make sense as subject headers, but
they have expanded to overlap each other.

By the way, there's a right sidebar link in the Codex to see what
pages are linking to a given page, so it's not impossible to fix
inappropriate links.
     Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon

Poplar ProductivityWare * www.poplarware.com
Web Databases/Scripts * Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software