[wp-docs] Duplicated article lists...

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Sat Jan 20 01:27:32 GMT 2007

I've been working this week on cleaning up and editing documentation
for theme, plugin, and core WordPress developers (it's coming along).
Also updating for version 2.1.

What I've come across is that there are quite a few Codex pages that
are overlapping lists of articles. For instance, the following pages
contain lists of resources related to Theme development, and have no
actual content:

* http://codex.wordpress.org/Templates (fairly comprehensive)
* http://codex.wordpress.org/Blog_Design_and_Layout (some sections)
* http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Lessons (two sections are
related to themes and templates)
* http://codex.wordpress.org/Developer_Documentation (one section on
Themes)
* http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page (of course, the main page also
duplicates several sections of the above)

I'm concerned because each of these lists has different articles, and
there is not one sole source to look at for a comprehensive list.
Also, some of the lists are not annotated, so you don't really know
what you will find when you click on the link (it could just lead you
to another page of links, or an article that is aimed at the wrong
audience). Not to mention that many content-rich articles also have
links to a few resources for further reading, where they could just
point the user back to the comprehensive, organized, annotated list of
resources.

So, can some of these be consolidated? For instance, maybe Blog Design
and Layout could be the main place for design/layout articles, and
Templates (instead of having any layout sections) could simply point
to that page. Obviously, any articles linked to from the wordpress.org
home page, or from the codex.wordpress.org sidebar, need to remain!

Thoughts? Is it OK if I go ahead and consolidate the developer-facing
documentation in that way? (I'll stay away from the Main Page for now).

     --Jennifer