[wp-docs] Version specific banners for Codex

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Fri Sep 2 14:55:25 GMT 2005

David House wrote:
> Couldn't this be automated? It'd be easy to have a script sitting on a
> server somewhere that runs as a cronjob, say once every three days or
> something. It would grab articles from the codex, compare them against
> a local cache and use PHP's PDFlib [1,2] to create the PDFs if they've
> changed.

Yes / No.
While I have no clue (yet) as to setting that up, the end result would
have all the TOCS in, all the [edit] links and other misc links that
would not apply. Images would also be messed up. There was a large
amount of editing I had to do to ensure that presentation was not as
ugly as it would have been. My guess is that people want the slightly
more attractive look.

It's not actually the task - I've done that enough to get going from
here. What we need is people. It's very easy to look at what we have now
  and divide that by alphabet. Person 1 does A-D, person 2 does E-I etc
(though T is a whole section on it's own). Then each person only has a
few pages to watch and update.
The code which /would/ be nice is the downloading code - if that could
query the file / date and that was used to help people decide what had
been updated. I would give my ftp details for the ISP space to any
trusted helpers, and then the page in my guides would update itself. I
think that's wishlist stuff though :)
Because of Codex going into that state of suspended animation, a backlog
of work built up, but a glance at the Recent Changes does not show the
real picture of changes - it's less than that.

Matt did mention SVN at one point, but Tortoise is something that
whenever I open it to look at, something far more appealing is need to
be done right then :)

P.