[wp-docs] User accounts

virgil huston virgil.huston at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 06:25:22 GMT 2005

I am one of those who has registered, but never contributed. I can't
speak for everyone, but perhaps I am representative of a subset of
users. I want to contribute, but I simply cannot grasp the process and
how the Codex works, particularly when it comes to contributing. I am
a professional technical writer and instructional designer, so
writing, version control, etc., is not the problem. I am not a
programmer, but I am a system admin and I understand Windows and Unix.
The problem is that the Codex, as with almost all open source projects
I have looked at (for example, SourceForge) are absolutely counter
intuitive to everything I am familiar with. The new Codex makes it
much easier to finds things, but I am completely stymied by editing
and writing. At some point, I hope to figure it out and contribute. In
the meantime, I would like to remain a user.

Virgil Huston

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:14:13 +0000, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
> I happen to agree with much of what Craig said.
>
> If someone has registered yet made NO contribution, then just what
> exactly IS the point of them remaining in the user list ? I can see none
> whatsoever.
> Registering is not mandatory, registering to read is not mandatory so
> why have they registered ? Is it a /just in case/ thing ? Doubtful, really.
>
> Yay ! Codex has 841 contributors ! Crap it has. Let's get it slightly
> more real, space or not eh ?
>
> Codex can establish non-contribution, so why have that function if it
> does not get used ?
>
> Having a codex registration and having done zero with it confers no
> special powers / abilities / whatever on anyone and removing that seems
> nothing more than sense to me.
>
> P.

Virgil Huston
54th Signal Bn (DSST-1)