[wp-docs] New Pages.

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:34:55 GMT 2005

MDAWaffe,

First thing I do today is to move in your pages, right now, where I
see them fit, and as we have discussed before.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:54:17 -0800, Michael D. Adams <mikea at turbonet.com> wrote:
> I want to first emphasize that what follows are not meant to be pointed
> remarks; I have a great deal of respect for all those working on Codex
> and for the admins/sysops in particular.
No problem if it is pointed, we are all accountable.

> That said, I do not plan on
> making further contributions until the creating new pages policy has
> been finalized _and implemented_.
Things move a little too slowly with voluntary projects, but there is
a definite progress, in how the docs are now, as opposed to how they
were earlier. Things are more organized and the quality seems to be a
little better, if not a lot.

> I have made every effort to follow the guidelines.  These efforts have
> resulted in great success (as in the Pages article), and great
> frustration (as in every other article in my User space - even after
> announcing them here on this list).  I understand the desire to have
> people create pages in their User space; it gives some extra control to
> the sysops etc. in what gets included.  It is also exceedingly slow, at
> least at the moment.  Many people are creating new pages now, and there
> are still the same number of (hard working) "upper-echelon" Codex
> contributors.  I'm offering no alternative solution here, since I have
> not the time nor the desire to pull more authority on Codex, I'm just
> point out a flaw everyone already knows about.

Let me see what I can do about it, a few more hours from my part
should help. Personally, I was quite pre-occupied with other work, so
haven't been able to put in as much effort as I would like.
I have made a decision to not create any new pages myself till all the
maintenance work is complete.

> Also, under the "User space" system, duplication of effort is very
> easy.  If this User space system continues, I would suggest asking
> people to suggest ideas for new pages on this list _before_ starting
> one in their User space (rather than the other way around) so that
> duplication can be avoided.

Good suggestion. But announcing it on this list may have problems,
like the other person working on a similar page might not read it.
Ideally, new pages should be moved in asap, so collaboration can be
maximized.

> People should also not be afraid to say "that page you created is not
> useful; it will not be included in the Main space"  Closure is good,
> even if the answer is not the one sought.

Yes. I agree with you.

To end this reply, please do not stop writing, I really appreciate
your work, as do a lot of other folks. The "Pages" page was excellent,
I am sure you put in more than 5 hours into it. Please do not feel
discouraged. Can you please help with creating task-oriented
documentation that derives from your Admin Panel pages?

Thank you for bringing your concerns to light,
Carthik.

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net