[wp-docs] Nomenclature for WordPress interface

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Thu Jun 2 19:32:12 GMT 2005

There was a group of us here in this discussion and in the IRC chat for
#wp-docs that spent a lot of time discussing this and hashing it out.  We
now have a series of documents on the codex that deal with the semantics of
the names, including http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Semantics, the
glossary, and...MDAWaffe, I thought that your Terminology was moved out into
the main docs....ANOTHER ONE LOST ON THE USER PAGES....hrmmmm.  Must do
closer inspection of those.

Anyway, while I personally did not agree with all the choices, the jargon
was set.  It may evolve and change over time, but right now, it's set as it
is. There is some interchanging of words for "panels" and "screens", but for
the most part, the language is now more understandable than it was when we
began.  Much of that thanks goes to mdawaffe who worked overtime to create
the great http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Panels pages that takes
the user inside of each element, describing all the different parts and
pieces of the WordPress Admin. Just click the "What Links to This Page" and
you will see how critical this kind of documentation is, especially for the
beginner documentation.  I think we're vested in the current terminology by
now.