[wp-xmlrpc] GSOC Proposal - Extending WordPress Remote API

Jorge Bernal jorge at automattic.com
Tue Mar 22 14:23:33 UTC 2011

Sounds great, XMLRPC could use some love ;)

I plan to gather some ideas for improvements from the mobile team in
the following weeks.
Besides adding missing features, my main concern right now is trying
to reduce redundant calls and minimize traffic: I'd bet nobody was
thinking of 3G when the api was invented.

Some ideas for now:
* Add a "since" attribute to methods like wp.getRecentPosts,
wp.getComments, so we can check for new stuff without downloading
everything again. Started at
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16882
* wp.getLatestActivity - get posts/comments since a given date. Maybe
even add categories or anything that changed, so syncing would involve
one call only
* wp.quickPost - merge newPost and newMediaObject, so publishing a
picture can be done with just one call. Maybe quickPost is not the
best name for it, but roughly that's the idea

As for obsolete APIs, many of the wp.* methods use the mw, mt, or
blogger implementations. Nothing should be removed to maintain
compatibility, but the wp.* API should be able to leave those
implementations behind

Jorge Bernal | jbernal at gmail.com | jorge at automattic.com
Mobile Engineer @ Automattic | http://automattic.com/

http://jorgebernal.info/ | http://jorgebernal.es/ | http://twitter.com/koke