[wp-xmlrpc] Best practise for validating a site connection

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Mon Oct 11 12:38:57 UTC 2010

Not saying this is the best practice, but to complete your menu of differing behaviors: in MarsEdit a successful "getRecentPosts" is pretty much the test for whether a configuration was made correctly or not.

(I don't use getUsersBlogs because the setup sequence in MarsEdit is centered around providing the home page URL to a single blog).

If you decide to do some kind of "capabilities" method, may I suggest you follow the lead of the "API is disabled" error message, and include URLs in the response to the page where a particular capability can be modified. I am thinking something like (in pseudo-XML):

<capabilities>
	<capability name="xmlrpcAccess" enabled="false" settingURL="http://myblog/admin/settings.php">
	<capability name="editPosts" enabled="true" settingURL="etc…">
</capabilities>

Though, come to think of it, maybe this should all be shoe-horned into the wlwmanifest file?

Daniel