[wp-xmlrpc] what clients send an XML declaration in XML-RPC requests?

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Mon Jul 27 12:57:25 UTC 2009

On Jul 25, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Brandon Turner wrote:

> If you plan to allow clients to upload images through newMediaObject
> using a zip file you should expand the scope to allow multiple
> images to be inside of the zip file.  I don't know exactly how one
> would have to change the request to specific metadata(names mostly?)
> for all the images inside of the zip, but I am sure something clever
> could be thought up.  At least with Writer it is common for us to
> upload two of every picture, one of the inline image and one of the
> 'click through' image.  Consolidating those into one request would
> save considerably more than the savings you would get from
> optimizing single requests.
>
> None the less, your approach of zip file does seem like a good idea,
> YouTube has done the same thing with uploading videos through their
> API.

I hadn't really thought about in the context of uploading multiple
images.  I wonder if the zip compression on the image file would be
enough to offset the (potential) additional memory requirements.  On
WordPress.com I could come up with a reliable method for extracting
the files on the filesystem.  Ideally we'd come up with a way to do
the same thing for WordPress.org based installs as well.  Perhaps
using the same compression routines that the core, plugin and theme
installer use.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org